Wednesday, March 07, 2007

I don't feel the love!


For some time now, I've got some Lorna's Laces Shepherd Sock yarn in my stash. I've decided to start using it, and some other sock yarn, which I have been accumulating. No point in thinking how it would feel and look knitted up, and not doing it! I started with the colorway "Rainbow", see above, very colorful don't you think. I like color, and the skeins "spoke" to me.


toes and heels of these unfortunate socks, that's what I imagined I would get ...
But, alas, look what I've got instead!!!

I really DO hate pooling! The first sock did some kind of spiraling and after the heel it went crazy. From former experience I kind of expected that it would. I felt no joy in knitting this sock. First I thought, if the second sock would behave like the first one did, I would knit the heel with the left over yarn from the first sock, but to my surprise the second sock started out crazy! No point in adding more ends to weave in, and surprise # 2, after the heel it kind of spiraled again. Strange. By then I hated these socks anyway.



I DO however love this stitch pattern. I will use it with other yarn again. It's easy and fun to knit.



I will wear them, but I don't have to love them or even look at them, while on my feet. The yarn, by the way, was lovely to work with, it's soft and hopefully will hold up better than Koigu, since it has 20% nylon it it.
So, now I have two more colorways of Lorna's Laces Shepherd Sock yarn in my stash. "Glenwood" which I fully expect to pool as well, and "Camouflage", where I don't care if it's going to pool. I like the colors in those skeins. I sure hope they will turn out better than "Rainbow".



I have cast on for another pair already. This time with Artyarns Ultramerino 4, a solid color. I'm loving it so far. Right now, I'm more drawn to solid colors, too much multi going on, and it's refreshing for a change.
There's also my blog anniversary coming up next month, and I'm feeling a bit blog weary at the moment. I hope it will pass.







16 comments:

Cindy, aka Maxfun said...

Wow! It almost looks like two different colorways were used -- one in the toe/heel and one in the rest of the sock. Too bad, because the striping looked really nice.

I agree, the stitch pattern is very sweet. :)

Beverly said...

I have Rainbow and Glenwood in Shepherd sock. I saw some on another blog in Rainbow and it did pretty much the same as yours, which is why it is still marinating in the stash.

The pattern is lovely in spite of the crazy yarn.

Anonymous said...

It does look like two different colorways in each sock, but I think it looks cute. I'm not a huge fan of multicolored yarn. It knits up weirdly. I'm having that problem on my Smoking Hot Socks. The purling section is creeping me out. But I want a multicolor in the mitered part! Maybe once it's done.

I hope you're all better and there's nothing much wrong w/Biko but maybe a bit of arthritis. Or the cold.

That cardigan is cute! Oh, I am so behind! Work, work, work.

Platypus said...

Also ich find die Socken schön, super Farben und das Muster ein Traum. Macht ja nichts, wenn sie ein wenig unregelmäßig sind, die haben eben Charakter *gg*
Liebe Grüße vom Platypus

Larry said...

I've had the Camoflage for a couple of years now. I wonder if it's time has come. I agree though that the multi-color thing with sock yarn has sort of faded away. Too bad, as I have lots of it stashed away and very few solids. I guess that's why there are yarn shops out there.

Unknown said...

I feel your pain!! Pooling sucks! Your stitch pattern is very pretty though! I've got so much vegrigated yarn in my stash too, but am really scared to knit it. It looks so pretty on the skein, but if it pools, then the yarn will be ruined in my mind!

Anonymous said...

I've made one pair of socks(Dublin Bay) with Lorna's Laces and I liked how they striped....I'm afraid it was beginners luck!
I have 2 more skeins waiting for me to try them....
I DO love the yarn and it wears better than ANY other sock yarn I have used - I made the Dublin
Bays in 2004 and they still look new!

sgeddes said...

I agree that it looks like two different colors were used for the socks. I love the way the colors look in the heel and toe. The pattern looks great. I'm going to have to give that a try.

I have some camoflage saved back too. I just haven't figured what socks to knit with it yet.

TracyKM said...

I like the foot of one, and the leg of the other, LOL. Funny how that happens. I think the toes/heels are a neat contrast to the gentler striping. But still very happy socks ;)

Anonymous said...

oh!-so schöne Farben und dann so viel Mühe damit sie so gleichmäßig rauskommen. Du hast dir wirklich viel Arbeit gemacht und ich wünsche Dir ganz lange Spaß an den Socken - gute Laune beim Tragen ist fast garantiert!
Grüßle Sabine

Violiknit said...

Oh, cool! Those socks look totally psychedelic! I agree that pooling generally sucks, but I like how it looks on your socks.

hakucho said...

Sorry about the pooling...I think it would have been fine if both socks behaved the same :) I do like varigated yarn because you never know how it will turn out. Guess I like the mystery...but I know the mystery is not appreciated if your knitting socks and they don't match ;)

Love the pattern though...better luck next time!
happy knitting :)

Midnight Purls said...

I've been fairly lucky with my nmulticolored sock yarn. Thus far, I've liked the pooling and the way they've striped up. But I worry that somewhere in the near future, I'll encounter a skein of yarn like that one, one that just looks wierd when it's all knitted up.

I hope the rest of the Lorna's knits up better.

Anonymous said...

Huhu Monika,

also ich finde die Socken total stylisch! Das Muster gefällt mir auch gut.
Interessant ist auch die camouflage - die würde mich sehr reizen: Tarnsocken!

Viele Grüsse von Heike, die gerade die Kauni Regenbogen aufgeribbelt hat *grmpf*

tammy said...

I gotta say, I'm really fond of pooling and I think your socks look great. It's such a crap shoot with Lorna's Laces isn't it?

Anonymous said...

I think I'm in the minority...I don't mind pooling at all. I think the socks are wonderful! I'm sorry you're disappointed; I hope it helps that some of us think they're gorgeous... the stitch pattern is really pretty.