Monday, September 24, 2012

Galactic Melt socks

To continue the Galactic Melt saga from last post.
I arranged the fiber into little balls, and spun them one after each other. I had two of those fiber balls assembly lined up, but the camera malfunctioned when I took pictures, and before I noticed, I  had started spinning. I did divide the far left blue-ish ball into half, and put one of them before the second to last on the left, so that there would be three blue stripes throughout the sock, but I never got to the third blue stripe in my sock knitting; the sock was done before that.

Nestfiberstudio-Galactic Melt & some red Nestlets for the Warm Toes SAL & KAL

Lovely yarn cakes.
Galactic Melt sock yarn

And here are the finished socks. You can kind of see the little cable I've knit down one side of the socks.
Nestfiberstudio-Galactic Melt-Falkland & BFLNestlets-finished socks

They are not totally machty-machty, but I don't care. One can see that they belong together. I weight the fiber, once divided up for both socks, and some of the balls were off about two grams. That's' a lot in fiber, and you can see it in the difference of the length of each stripe, plus of course I'm not a machine and the spinning isn't as even as it could have been.

Nestfiberstudio-Galactic Melt-Falkland & BFLNestlets-finished socks

I've knit them toe-up, as I like to do with handspun yarn. Even though I had a lot of left over, with ~ 556yds, that didn't surprise me either. I'm planning on using it for fingerless mittens eventually.

Nestfiberstudio-Galactic Melt-Falkland & BFLNestlets-finished socks

When knitting toe-up socks, I use Fleegle's toe up socks pattern by Susan Glinert Stevens. They are just the perfect fit every time, no matter what yarn or needle size I'm using.

I've added three garter ridges before I started the cuff, just so I didn't get bored, but there was not much chance of that, because they went so fast. I used 2.5mm needles, if anybody wants to know.
Nestfiberstudio-Galactic Melt-Falkland & BFLNestlets-finished socks

This was once again a fun project. I'm having a hard time sticking to projects made with commercial yarns at the moment.

♥ ♥ ♥


10 comments:

momsue84 said...

Such warm and comfy, colorful socks! I embrace the differences in each sock. Adds interest to an, already, very interesting knit!

Sharon said...

Your socks look like they'd be great when the weather gets cold.

I wish I was as dedicated to using my stash as you have been. Makes me wonder what I really need from Rhinebeck.

craftivore said...

Gorgeous! I love it when socks don't quite match.

monica said...

Those are lovely socks!! The colors are fab!

Virginia G said...

Love them!

Wanderingcatstudio said...

They look extra cozy!

Lynn One, Purl Two said...

I love these Monika! Amazing!

CelticCastOn said...

Love these!

2paw said...

They're gorgeous, I love the colours and you're right, they do match wonderfully!!

Linda said...

Gosh, I learn so much from your photo tutorials and find the resulting socks simply wonderful.